Date:      Wed, 5 Mar 1997 21:50:59 PST
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two Q's: "make depend" and repairing distfile?

asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami) wrote:
>I know you've already decided not to do this, but just FYI: you can
>just use "ALL_TARGET=depend all" or something.

ah, but "make depend" is tricky -- "make depend all" uses the old
dependencies during the "make all", since "make depend" rewrites the
Makefile or the .depend file, and making a second target doesn't
re-read the Makefile or the .depend file (..or does it re-read the
.depend file?).  That was why I suggested a seperate invocation of
make.

  Bill

(Yes, I know I said I wasn't going to have a computer in Baltimore,
I just happened to find this powerbook with a modem . . . =)