Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 21:34:41 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Michael Elbel <Michael.Elbel@consol.de>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

Mark Ovens writes:
>On Fri, Nov 26, 1999 at 09:55:58AM +0100, Michael Elbel wrote:
>> Set your editor to gnuclient and it will do what you want
>> (export EDITOR=gnuclient).
>
>OK, I've done that (well, ``setenv EDITOR gnuclient'' as I use csh(1)).

Seems to me that gnuclient is an xemacs-ism. With emacs I thinks it's
called emacsclient (could be wrong). There's also an emacsserver in
there. I found this by grep'ing the PLIST for emacs20.

>> You need to load gnuserv in your .emacs file. This is what I have in mine:
>>
>> (load-library "gnuserv")
>> (gnuserv-start nil)
>>

>Done that, but all I get from emacs is:
>
>Error in init file: File error: "Cannot open load file", "gnuserv"

this is also an xemacs-ism. Check out the emacs help, there should be
a mention of emacsclient or emacsserver in there somewhere.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de garyj@fkr.cpqcorp.net gj@freebsd.org