Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 18:00:20 +0530
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux kernel and FreeBSD neck and neck?

j mckitrick said on Jul 28, 2000 at 13:19:56:
> > I've seen on machines I've used, 2.2 definitely isn't as good at
> > memory management as FreeBSD either.
>
> That's true.  BSD's venerable memory management is one area that seems to be
> a stronghold.

I don't know about venerable: I read somewhere that a lot of the
FreeBSD improvements are recent and due to Matt Dillon, and also that
he's talking to Alan Cox of linux and eventually the memory management
of FreeBSD and Linux may "merge"... I can't remember where I read this
latter bit or how reliable the source may have been.  But Alan Cox is
an admirer of FreeBSD and runs it on one machine, and often mentions
it in interviews.

R.