Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 12:55:57 -0700
From:      Jim Pirzyk <Jim.Pirzyk@disney.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>, peter@wemm.org
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, audit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   new resolver libraries (Was: Re: new kldpath(8): display/modify the module search path)

On Thursday 21 June 2001 12:52 pm, Terry Lambert wrote:
> Peter Wemm wrote:
> ] > Likewise, the lack of a parallel, asynchronous resolver is a
> ] > serious deficit in FreeBSD, which is the result of jamming
> ] > the recolver into libc "because libresolv is how SVR4 and
> ] > Linux do it, and it would be a pain to go through and change
> ] > the network using ports to include the library linkage for
> ] > the one time it would be necessary".
> ]
> ] Full, complete patches to remove res_* from libc would be welcome.
> ] "Full" and "Complete" means the *entire* tree.  For it to be useful
> ] it needs to be relative to -current.  You probably need to do
> ] some tweaks to the ports *.mk files for ports that do a 'getXXXbyYYY()'.
> ]
> ] I await your submission.  If not, then shut up.
>
> What an absolutely brilliant approach to solving the problem.
>
> I had only considered importing a libresolv into /usr/src/lib/libresolv,
> and then switching ports and programs over gradually, and then at the
> end, when everything worked, removing the old, lousy resolver code from
> libc so that the transition would have the least possible impact on
> everyone.

So if the resolver is going to be replaced, please, please include
the DNS sortlist code in the new resolver.  I have seen cases were
that has been broken (getaddrinfo(3)).  It is an absoulte requirement
for us to have this.

- JimP

--
--- @(#) $Id: dot.signature,v 1.10 2001/05/17 23:38:49 Jim.Pirzyk Exp $