Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 1996 08:45:47 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Stephen.Couchman@imagenet.on.ca, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org, n_melhor@Telebit.COM
Subject:   Re: Jaz drive questions

>====== Message from Stephen Couchman 96.07.11 22:40 ======
>  I have installed a Jaz drive as sd1 (SCSI id #2).  I am
>  using an Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI host adapter.  FreeBSD
>  does not seem to recognize the drive and produces the
>  following messages:
>
>  (ahc0:2:0): "iomega jaz 1GB G.60" type 0 removable SCSI 2
>  sd1(ahc0:2:0): Direct-Access
>  sd1(ahc0:2:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0 Invalid field in
>  CDB sd1 could not mode sense (4). Using ficticious
>  geometry 1021MB (2091050 512 byte sectors)

This means that FreeBSD _did_ recognize the drive.  Iomega apparently
didn't bother to implement the SCSI mode sense command, so the driver
can't determine anything about the number of heads or sectors/track
on the disk (if any).  The last line shows that it successfully
determined the total number of sectors on the disk.  This is sufficient
for most operations (for everything except writing a partition table
that can be used by the BIOS for booting).
>I just installed an IOMega parallel port Zip drive into my kernel. It's not
>part of FreeBSD, I just found the PPA-3 driver on someone's web page
>(Nicolas.Souchu@prism.uvsq.fr) -- who can't actively support it at this
>time.

>The instructions said that I'd get messages about ficticious geometry,
>since it "can't be sensed".

>I can still mount_msdos the drive on the 4th slice of the drive (sd0s4)
>with a working DOS ZipDisk and see the contents. The instructions said to
>fdisk-examine the drive to confirm which was the proper slice.

Zip disks are sometimes (always?) preformatted with a normal DOS partition
table with one partition in the 4th slot and an (empty for "blank") disks
MSDOS file system in the partition.  FreeBSD automatically constructs a
suitable geometry by looking at the partition table.

>I don't know about your other problems, since I'm new to FreeBSD and still
>fooling around with the ZipDrive. Currently the probe at boot time takes 2
>minutes! I also haven't yet tried formatting it as a Unix disk.

The long delay is probably for IDE drives that you don't have.  Boot with
-c and disable hardware that you don't have if it causes problems.

Formatting as a FreeBSD file system disk is best done by leaving the
preformatted partition table alone except for changing its type from
MSDOS to FreeBSD.  Then put a label and a file system on the partition.

Bruce