Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2012 10:53:07 -1000
From:      Clifton Royston <cliftonr@volcano.org>
To:        Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Subject:   Re: looking for someone to fix humanize_number (test cases included)

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 12:00:01PM +0000, freebsd-hackers-request@freebsd.org wrote:
> Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 14:52:09 -0500
> From: Eitan Adler <lists@eitanadler.com>
> To: freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
> Subject: Re: looking for someone to fix humanize_number (test cases
> 	included)
>
> On 25 December 2012 14:46, Clifton Royston <cliftonr@volcano.org> wrote:
> >>   I correct myself: the function works fine, and there are no bugs I
> > could find, though it's clear the man page could emphasize the correct
> > usage a bit more.
>
> Can you submit a diff to the man page as well? I figure if you got
> confused at least 10 others got even more confused.

  I'd be happy to, and will do so soon.  I would like to finish rereading
and poking the code a little more first, so I understand and can document how
scale actually works and what it's doing without "autoscale" set, which is
the actual case which John's tests first brought up.  Right now its results
for some test cases I'm writing don't make much sense to me, particularly
with HN_DIVISOR_1000.

  So far from find+grep under /usr/src it appears to me that every call
to humanize_number() in the code base is correctly passing HN_AUTOSCALE
- i.e. the ability to pass a specific scale is unused - which may be
why this never came up.

  -- Clifton

--
   Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr@iandicomputing.com / cliftonr@volcano.org