Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:23:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Jim Rees <rees@umich.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS4 on FreeBSD?

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Jim Rees wrote:

> Frank Mayhar wrote:
>
>  Hmm.  It was my impression that the rpcsec_gss stuff was only for NFS4.
>  I take it that my impression was wrong?  (I guess I had better double-
>  check and make sure that it's really NFS4 that is needed, and not
>  kerberized NFS3.)
>
> That's correct, but there is an earlier non-gss kerberized v3 protocol.  I
> believe at one time there were implementations in bsd and linux, but these
> are being removed for lack of interest and to push people to v4.  I can't
> find any traces of it in FreeBSD but parts of it are still in OpenBSD.  I
> have never used it and don't know if it works.

That was ancient code that I did for 4.4BSD and was never adopted by
anyone. When people refer to Kerberized NFSv3 these days, they are
using the same RPCSEC_GSS code that NFSv4 adopted. This is in Solaris10
and I believe that current versions of Linux2.6 might have the v3 support
as well as v4. (As far as I know, the only difference between using
RPCSEC_GSS/krb5 on v4 vs v3 is the mount protocol and, at least Solaris10,
will allow the mount protocol to use AUTH_SYS for a sec=krb5 mount.)

So, if you find a Kerberized NFSv3 it will probably support NFSv4 as well.

rick