Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 17:51:33 -0600 (CST)
From:      jbryant@server.iadfw.net
To:        didier@aida.remcomp.fr (Didier Derny)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with pop3

In reply:
> Subject: Problem with pop3
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 22:43:14 +0100
> From: Didier Derny <didier@aida.remcomp.fr>
>

> I've just taken the source code of pop3d and found some problems
>
> 1/ a inline variable is declared.
> 2/ it takes the mail from /usr/spool/mail
> 3/ a lseek fail somewhere giving a huge file (not allocated)
>
> I think I can get rid of these problems but if
> a clean source code exist somewhere I would be happy
> to find it.

I highly recommend using the qualcomm qpopper package.  It is based upon
the berkeley popper, and offers many useful enhancements.  And it works.
Also, I would think that qualcomm has incentive to provide support for
qpopper, they are the ones who do Eudora, a very popular pop client for
Windoze...

Try looking for qpopper2.1.3 or qpopper2.1.4...

Along this same thread, the berkeley popper [1.9.3?] wreaks havoc under
950210-SNAP.  It seems to copy each message once the first time a user
grabs his mail, then copies each message 4 times the next time, and so
forth, after 4 attempts in testing, a 3-4 meg mailbox grew to 140megs, I
didn't test the progression further, I only have a gig set aside for
/var... also I didn't have the time to check the berkeley sources for the
incompatability between our previous BSDI server and the FreeBSD we run
now, when you have as many users as us breathing down yer neck in a
complete OS switchover...

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or