Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 2014 10:06:53 +0100
From:      Francois Tigeot <ftigeot@wolfpond.org>
To:        Denny Lin <dennylin93@hs.ntnu.edu.tw>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH hangs while restarting services

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 08:48:03AM +0800, Denny Lin wrote:

> Recently I've been trying to restart services remotely using SSH using a
> command instead of entering the shell:
> ssh host "sudo service postgresql restart"
>
> PostgreSQL is able to restart successfully, but SSH just hangs there
> instead of exiting. I've noticed that this seems to affect any command
> which spawns a child process which doesn't exit.

Can you check if it's really ssh which hangs or sudo ?

I have just stumbled upon a sudo bug myself: the child process launched
by sudo-1.8.11 hangs in the manner you just described. The same command
launched by sudo-1.8.10 works fine.

Running sudo /bin/sh and quitting the new shell is enough to verify if
everything's fine or not.

--
Francois Tigeot