Date:      Thu, 1 Sep 2005 20:07:26 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Subject:   best OCR scanner??

        People,

        I want to scan ~400 pp of an out-of-print and out-of-copyright
        book (from 1913) and need to know what the best scanner is
        and if there has been substantial improvement in OCR
        software in recent years.  This book has few footnotes
        or different typefaces, so it should make things easier.

        Oh, an if there is something that plugs into DOS/DOZE
        and just works, super.  I'lll use my W2K box.  (Hopefully,
        something that plugs into COM0 or COM1. USB okay too.)

        thanks for any clues; I've never used a scanner before!
        --yea, no kidding:-)

        gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix