Date:      Fri, 28 May 2004 09:43:36 -0500
From:      Robert Lowe <Robert.H.Lowe@lawrence.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Starting a second loopback interface and services at startup

Hi!

New to FreeBSD and running 5.2.1-RELEASE on an Alpha.  I do predominantly
SysV/ATT boxes, so I feel a bit out of it...

Question #1:
I need to create a second loopback interface, which I can do just fine
at the command line:

# ifconfig lo1 create
# ifconfig lo1 inet a.b.c.d netmask x.x.x.x

How do I automate this at startup?  I stumbled across something in
/etc/network.subr that suggests I ought to create /etc/start_if.lo1
which would then be sourced.  I assume I can add a ifconfig_lo1
variable to /etc/rc.conf.  I tried these, but with no luck.  Can
anyone point the way?

Question #2:
I'm trying to start Quagga services on this box (zebra and ospfd).
I added scripts to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ for these two, but no luck.
They work fine from the command line, e.g.

# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/zebra.sh start
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ospfd.sh start

Both have the .sh extension, which seems to be required.  How should
I troubleshoot this?  I don't find anything in dmesg.today suggesting
that there was even an attempt to run the scripts.  Also, can one use
the rcorder keywords to provide startup ordering for scripts in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d ???

TIA,
Robert