Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:50:16 -0700 (PDT)
From:      brooks@one-eyed-alien.net
To:        Benjamin Gavin <gavinb@supranet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMC EtherPower 10/100

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, Benjamin Gavin wrote:

>   Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with the SMC EtherPower II
> Network cards with either 2.2-STABLE or 3.1-STABLE.  I have two boxes (one
> running each version) and they both are showing some very weird behavior
> with these cards, namely they are giving 30-100ms ping times over ethernet.

I had problems with those cards a while back.  I was able to force them to
work somewhat on a 2.2-STABLE system by setting the media correctly, but I
had no luck on 3.x.  It should be noted though that the configuration they
were in was INVALID.  They were hooked into a 10/100 hub, but via CAT-3.
It may be that the problem was simply that the cards are very sensative to
cable quality.  I replaced them with Intel cards and they worked a lot
better.  Those hosts are now running wired to 10Mbits though.

-- Brooks