Date:      Sun, 4 Mar 2001 15:12:34 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Silo overflows

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 11:14:25PM -0800, a little birdie told me
that Rich Wales remarked
> I'm running 4.2-RELEASE on an 800-MHz Athlon system.  One of the
> serial ports on this machine is connected to the serial console port
> on a second machine (my home firewall/bridge, running 4.2-STABLE).
>
> The firewall's serial console speed is set to 115200.  The builtin
> serial ports on both machines are 16550A's.
>
> I'm getting lots and lots of silo overflows on the Athlon when I
> generate a large amount of output from the firewall (e.g., if I do
> "ls -ls", the output is badly garbled, and I get kernel messages on
> the Athlon about silo overflows).

FWIW, I'm seeing the same thing on my main system (dual PPro 200, mid-Jan
-CURRENT snap) when I have my laptop hooked up (115200 SLIP), though the
laptop (a lowly P133) doesn't get any overflows that I've seen.  I have a
hard time believing the PPro doesn't have enough grunt to push a
high-power 12k/sec data stream.  I've been suspecting some of the changes
in -CURRENT and interrupt handling on SMP, and I get an overflow maybe
every 10 or 20 seconds under full-throttle data pushing, so I haven't
worried about it too much.  Back under 2.2-STABLE and/or 3.0-CURRENT I
remember having some hacks on the sio driver that made the problem much
rarer, but I think as 3.0 became -STABLE something changed and they
stopped being meaningful.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)     |    fullermd@over-yonder.net
Unix Systems Administrator      |    fullermd@futuresouth.com