Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 13:15:14 -0700
From:      "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        robert Backhaus <robbakfreebsd@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: Running multiple NICs

On 11 Aug 2002 at 5:12, robert Backhaus boldly uttered:

> --- "Philip J. Koenig" <pjklist@ekahuna.com> wrote:
> > System has an embedded Intel fxp0 NIC, works fine.
> > Running
> > 4.6.1-RC2.
> >
> > Installed a Znyx multi-port NIC (uses dc driver).
> > This also works fine, however once I bring up the dc0 interface, the
> > fxp0 interface loses its IP address. (ifconfig shows it to be
> > active, but the IP address/mask info goes away)
> >
> > Is there something obvious I'm not doing?  For testing purposes
> > they are both residing on the same segment and subnet.

> That is Standard practice. 2 cards on the smame subnet
> simply won't work.(Think - where would it send the
> packet??)

Well I was thinking that various daemons have configuration
options re: which interface to listen on etc, but I suppose
that doesn't work for every other net utility that comes
with the base system.  I suppose one just uses aliases if one
desires multiple IP's per subnet.

What I'm curious about is how you accomplish "NIC teaming" (a
feature of the Znyx adapters) if you can't do this.  I guess
their driver solves that problem.

> Try using a different subnet for the second one, to
> see if it works in ifconfig. Set a second machine to
> the subnet to see if you can ping. Then try for kernel
> setup etc, but the on the same subnet just won't work
> without special routing considerations.

OK that seems to work, thanks.  Now if I could only figure out how to
print the entire routing table -- any way to do that without entering
in specific destination networks multiple times with the "route get"
command?

With Windoze, there is a "route print" command, in Linux just typing
"route" with no arguments shows this.  How do I do it in FreeBSD?

TIA,

Phil

--
Philip J. Koenig