Date:      Mon, 04 Sep 2006 15:00:40 +0100
From:      Dominic Marks <dom@goodforbusiness.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange behaviour of Samba with md mounted NTFS disc image

Hello,

I observed some odd behaviour with a hard disc image I made with
g4u (NetBSD based ghost-a-like Live CD). The NTFS file system is
mounted read-only in a md device from the file. The mount point
has is shared to the network via Samba 3.

The strange part is that browsing from a Windows box the directories
within the image appear as empty files. From a shell on the system
however they seem to be directories. Once a directory has been entered
from some means other than Samba (find does the trick) they appear as
directories properly when browsing from the Windows system.

I have other Samba shares on the system which are not NTFS images
and they work as expected.

This could be a bug in FreeBSD or Samba, I suppose?
I'll file a PR on the issue if this is not already known about, can't find
anything in Gnats.

Thanks,
Dominic