Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 1997 19:06:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Brian Buchanan <brian@thought.res.cmu.edu>
To:        "Nicole H." <nicole@mediacity.com>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Detecting sniffers (was: Re: security hole in FreeBSD)

On Mon, 28 Jul 1997, Nicole H. wrote:

> Does anyone know of a good way to detect people "sniffing" on the network? IE a program that will detect a
> machine running in promiscuous mode?

I was wondering the same thing when I read a clause prohibiting the use of
network cards in promiscuous mode in the CMU network use policy.  I asked
some computer security people I knew about this and their response was
that it is not possible to detect if a network card is in promiscious mode
unless you have access to the machine it's in - i.e., that you can look at
ifconfig on that machine.