Date:      Tue, 24 Jan 1995 20:04:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      j@uriah.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: disklabel (1.1.5.1), partitions

As Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

| > > Does anybody have anything remotely close to a good reason for not nuking
| > > the above printf in sd.c and always report a 32/64/X geometry ??

Since it's the geometry the manufacter prefers to report back.  It's
the perhaps most realistic guess that roughly maps 1:1 to the physical
geometry.  (For what i've seen so far, the reported number of heads is
often exact, and the number of cylinders too.)

| > Not all SCSI devices are thus translated?
| mostly they are, unless the "> 1GB" option is set.

Which "> 1GB" option?  Cannot remember one...

| true, except we cannot trust this one anymore :-(  Some IDE and SCSI
| drivers get their "geometry" in CONFIG.SYS these days.

find / -name CONFIG.SYS

didn't report me any occurence of it.  Which file do you refer to? >:-)

Seriously, unless i really have a machine co-existing with messydos,
i *never* used the 32/64 hack so far.  (And this case hit for one
out of five or six machines for me.)
--
cheers, J"org                             work:      --- no longer ---
                                          private:   joerg_wunsch@uriah.sax.de