Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:56:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Win network configuration

> i made my home network with 2 PC 's one win98 other BSD3.0,
> both PC's can see eachothers. :)

I'm unclear what you mean by "see", here.  Expecially when you say:

> when i open Network Neighborhood icon in the Win98 box, i cant see other
> compuetrs
> which are alocated in the network, i mean the connected PC's are not
> listed?

OK, there are two computers on the network which can "see" each other, but
the Win98 box doesn't show the FreeBSD box in the network neighorhood?

If thats the problem:

The network neighborhood only lists SMB shares and if the FreeBSD box isn't
sharing anything then it won't appear.  You need to run Samba on the FreeBSD
box, making sure to run nmbd in addition to smbd.  If these are properly
setup, the FreeBSD box will appear in the network neighborhood.  I'll direct
you to the documenation for each of these (as well as the Samba web pages)
for more information.

> What shall i do?
> _sorry_  for bothering you with windows stuff.

Actually its more FreeBSD related than some recent questions.  And there
are an amazing number of FreeBSD users who have Windows boxes nearby they
wish to use.

Jon Doran