Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 03:08:49 +0200
From:      "Siegbert Baude" <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        <bein@world.std.com>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: CD Burner Advice Needed for 3.2 IDE system

Hi David,

>   So I am wondering if the non-SCSI cd burners are worth
> the trouble or should I just plunk down the extra money
> for a SCSI adapter [2940UW probably] and get the Yamaha?

Iīve got a Yamaha 4416S and itīs working like a charm. You wonīt need a
UW-controller just for a CD-burner. Even modern 12x burners have a data rate
of only 1.8MB/s. If the data is origined by another device on the
SCSI-chain, this will doublke the needed rate. So even a FAST-SCSI
controller (10 MB/s in synchronous mode) is enough. I personally chose a
FAST one, because of my external SCSI-scanner. FAST allows longer cabling
than U or UW. So an El Cheapo thing based for example on Symbios 810A
chipset (available e.g. from ASUS or LSI Logic) will do the job (mine was
about 20$ only). If you also want to apply modern high speed hard disks,
things are different, of course.
As to IDE: They work, too. But be aware that on one IDE-channel, there can
only be one device at a time sending data to the bus. If you have a hard
disk on the same channel, chances are that you will face buffer underruns,
if you use the disk, when burning. If you can give a single channel to your
burner (or maybe added with a drive, which isnīt used during burn time)
things should be fine.

>   Is there anything special I need to do to the 3.2 release
> besides the following [recommended in cdrecord 1.8 README.FreeBSD]:
>
> options         "P1003_1B"
> options         "_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING"
> options         "_KPOSIX_VERSION=199309L"

I donīt remember anything special, worked out of the box.

>   Note that I am not planning to upgrade the 3.2 machine in
> any major ways because I am about ready to get a new PC and
> stick 4.0/4.1 on it. I want to use my 3.2 box as a backup
> slave (among other tasks).

My experience is reduced to 4.x . So if there are any issues about 3.x
somebody hopefully jumps in.

Ciao
Siegbert