Date:      Fri, 17 Sep 1999 00:03:32 -0400
From:      "Charles A. Peters" <charles@chickenbean.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Error Message on Dual Hommed Gateway (> arp: 24.4.115.1 is on rl0 but got reply fr ... bla bla bla

Hello,

I am getting the following error messages on a dual hommed gateway running
3.2-Release (in log files and on the console):

	> arp: 24.4.111.1 is on rl0 but got reply from 08:00:3e:00:ab:a2 on ed0
	> arp: 192.168.0.8 in on ed0 but got reply from 00:80:c8:8c:8b:99 on rl0
	> arp: 24.4.111.222 is on rl0 but got reply from 08:00:3e:00:ab:a2 on ed0

The same message is repeated in the /var/log/messages log file hundreds of
times, and is being displayed on the system console about every 3 or 4
minutes.

I compiled my kernel with the following settings being added:

	IPFIREWALL
	IPDIVERT
	IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE

I am not sure what these messages mean, and what I need to do to fix
whatever problem may exist.  Any assistance with this would be appreciated.

I am also aware of a command to stop the display of messages to the system
console, but I don't know the name of the command.  Could someone please
point me to the man page for this type of command.

Thanks in advance!

Charles

cpeters2@home.com