Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2012 16:20:41 -0700
From:      Matt Olander <matt@ixsystems.com>
To:        John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Mark Linimon <linimon@lonesome.com>
Subject:   Re: Upcoming release schedule - 8.4 ?

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 3:52 PM, John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012, Matt Olander wrote:
>
>> So, we've (iXsystems, PC-BSD) been kicking around the idea of a Long
>> Term Supported version of "PC-BSD Server", which is really FreeBSD
>> with some PC-BSD cli tools and perhaps maintaining our own binary
>> update server. While we were thinking of doing this with 9.1, we can
>> consider 8.x. I'll speak with Kris Moore and the rest of the team and
>> find out what it will take.
>>
>> We've hired a contract release engineer with this task in mind but
>> you're right, most of the work will be in backporting. I like the idea
>> of coming up with a number it would take and a plan to do it. We're
>> not the only people with the problem, obviously.
>

> As a last resort, I would be interested in this, but I'm more interested in
> changing the culture of FreeBSD releases and long-term support in general.
>
> I think that:
>
> a) there are a lot more people out there, that we never hear from, that have
> these same problems, and another "4.x style" release would really help them.
>
> b) there are a lot of people out there that could be drawn into the FreeBSD
> ecosystem if another "4.x style" release existed.
>
> I would much rather donate $10k to a $100k kickstarter and have this be
> "official" than set aside $10k privately for unofficial maintenance, or a
> "fork".

I understand your position, John. FYI, PC-BSD is not a fork of
FreeBSD. We have someone on re@ as well as security@ and several src
and ports committers. We would backport to the official branch as
necessary, since that's what we use to release PC-BSD. It's really
irrelevant to me who manages the money. I'm just not sure we can start
with 8.x rather than 9.x.

However, this is pretty much the FreeBSD way. If we want something to
change, we affect the change with our efforts.

-matt