Date:      Thu, 11 May 2000 13:33:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Clustering FreeBSD

News site http://daily.daemonnews.org/ is pointing to a Yahoo! article
about a clustering system which is being bundled with FreeBSD 4.0 now.
The link is below.

How well does clustering work?  Is it very hard to set up?  How does the
failover work when I have multiple machines?  Do they somehow share an IP?

The reason I am concerned is that I manage a website which will be getting
much more traffic now that we have a large advertising budget.  As the
site gets much more traffic I am thinking a single FreeBSD box may not
cut it and I would have to do either a dual pentium or round-robin dns
much like sites like cnn.com do now.

What other options do I have besides clustering?  How about channeling
services through a single server with NAT to route to dns, web and mail
traffic which I can dynamically route as needed?  Just a little over my
head.

Anyone have any experience here?  Any insights?

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/000501/ca_polyser_1.html

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?