Date:      Fri, 29 May 1998 08:49:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kevin_eliuk@sunshine.net>
To:        Whee Kim <philuint@erols.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Question about X window

On Fri, 29 May 1998, Whee Kim wrote:

=>     Hi, I need help.
=>
=>    After I installed 2.2.6, I can't run X as regular user. I did
=> installed x distribution and I can run X when I directly log in as root,
=> but I can't run it if I am a regular user.  What is wrong?  How do I fix
=> this?

Can I assume you are talking about XFree86-3.3.2?

Had the same difficulty when I upgraded.  Although it was in my path and
my login config was xuser it would warn me about running the xserver as
anything but GID 0.

I think you have one of two options.

         1. Run "xdm" from startup and by adding

            ttyv3 "/usr/local/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   on secure

            to your /etc/ttys.  That's where I stop, because I could not
            find the proper way to set up my user environment using X
            that way.

         2. Install the XFree86 source, tcl-7.6, tk-4.2, read the
            documentation in installing X with "make World".  If you
            change "#define InstallXserverSetUID YES" to
            "#define InstallXserverSetUID NO" in
            /usr/X11R6/src/config/cf/site.def then it allows users
            to startx.

Hope this helps,

Kevin G. Eliuk.