Date:      02 Jul 2002 22:10:28 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and RAID

At 2002-07-02T19:42:13Z, "Maildrop" <maildrop@qwest.net> writes:

> 1. what hardware based IDE Raid card would be ideal for this setup that is
> supported under FreeBSD 4.5 or later.

Hardware RAID has a certain "coolness" factor, but FreeBSD's software RAID
(vinum) is quite mature and production-ready.  Are you sure that wouldn't
suffice?  At any rate, I'll base the rest of my answers on vinum.

> 2. Can FreeBSD boot from a mirror-ed / drive?

Not normally, but I believe that people have experimented with such setups.
To my knowledge, though, that's not a supported setup.  OTOH, you could
easily use rsync to mirror the contents of a live / partition to another
drive to make for quick recovery.

> 3. Can I use RAID for 2 mirrors and still use "normal" IDE for /tmp, /log
> and /cdrom drive?

Using vinum, you can pick and choose your setup on a per-filesystem basis.
Make /var a RAID-10 mirrored/striped filesystem, and make /tmp a growable
`concat' volume that you can extend at a later date.

> Let me know what ya guys think.

I think you'll have fun.  Enjoy it!
--
Kirk Strauser