Date:      Wed, 3 Oct 2012 08:03:00 -0400
From:      Rod Person <rodperson@rodperson.com>
To:        Steve O'Hara-Smith <ateve@sohara.org>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Port update hosed entire system

Just a little update on this, sorry to be unresponsive but my wife had
a minor surgery yesterday so I been a little busy, going to try and get
back to this today...

The reason I was able to get 25GB back is because there was a
hidden .trash file that some file manager must of created that had
"lots" of old files in it.

The drive is only a 68GB drive that only has one partition, originally
I was just testing the uses of gjounal. But somewhere down the line I
forgot about this and just keep using it. /home is on a separate drive
though. But everything else is on this one drive.

/rescue/sh does not segfault.

I still have not rebooted the system, making sure any data updated in
the last to days is backed up. Then I'll have to bit that bullet.

Thanks all for help and suggestions.

Rod

On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 09:12:09 +0100
Steve O'Hara-Smith <ateve@sohara.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 09:16:43 +0200
> Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2 Oct 2012 06:20:45 -0400, Rod Person wrote:
> > > It would never have occured to me that updating a port that
> > > has to do with audio and video containers would totally leave me
> > > unable to login into my system or issue and shell commands
> > > without getting a segmentation fault.
> >
> > I find it very hard to see a correlation here. Coincidence? Yes,
> > but I cannot imagine a way a port can dmage the system in that
> > way so not even shell commands keep working...
> >

> > > I did discover that my / file system had run out of space -131MB.
> >
> > That could show that some part of important content on / has
> > not been written yet - it's still held in "write buffers"
>
> 	No, the negative free space simply means that you have
> encroached on to the reserved space (only root can do this) which is
> usually used to optimise the layout when writing new data.
>
> > pending. So you could first check what takes up space in /
> > that is not required to be there, and remove it, then the
> > "write buffers" will be written properly. A "sync" command
> > could do this on request.
>
> 	Having negative free space will prevent non root users from
> writing data, but that will be returned to the applications as error
> returns to write calls not held in write buffers.
>
> > Check with "df -h" for _no_ negative values before rebooting
> > the system into SUM. I'm not sure if the "write buffers" can
> > survive a shutdown.
>
> 	They can't but they're not connected with negative free space
> reports. A normal shutdown will flush all the buffers.
>
> > > I'm still able to issue sudo, so using sudo rm -r I was able to
> > > free up 25GB...but still, /bin/sh, ls, clear all seg fault and su
> > > doesn't work and switching consoles doesn't let me log in.
> >
> > That sounds that somehow calling programs (executing / forking)
> > is not working properly anymore. As this is one of the most
> > fundamental mechanisms of the systems, it's hard to believe
> > that this can be triggered through a port update...
>
> 	More likely one of the shared libraries they all use has been
> overwritten. Updating ports certainly shouldn't be able to do this
> though.
>
> 	The stuff in /rescue should work fine for getting a usable
> environment to go bug hunting in, but without a deep and intimate
> knowledge of how things are supposed to be it's going to be hard
> short of reinstalling.
>
> --
> Steve O'Hara-Smith <ateve@sohara.org>

--
Rod Person
http://www.rodperson.com

"First we got population.  The world today has 6.8 billion people.
That's headed up to about 9 billion. Now if we do a really great job on
new vaccines,  health care, reproductive health services, we lower that
by perhaps 10 or 15 percent."
 - Bill Gates