Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 12:08:23 +0100
From:      Ernst de Haan <znerd@freebsd.org>
To:        Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: tomcat port (PATCH)

Hey Rasputin,

> 1] makes a dependency on 'javac' rather than an explicit path -
> so long as there is a java compiler in your path, it should work.

Uhm, will javac be in the path? I don't think you get javac in the path if
you install a JDK. The JDK's just install into a subdir of ${PREFIX}. The
scripts and binaries are then in the bin/ subdir, they are *not* copied to
/usr/local/bin nor is a symlink placed there, AFAIK.

> 2] makes files/patch-aa correctly set java_home in workers.properties
> (dependant on JAVA_HOME; I have a symlink, /usr/java, that I repoint to
> /usr/local/jdk1,1,8, /usr/local/linux-jdk1.3.1 or whatever other JDK I'm
> using that day)

Well, this is specific to your situation. It's not official that /usr/java
points to a JDK. And I would not want to introduce that either... *If* some
directory like that would be introduced, then it would at *least* be below
${PREFIX} (normally /usr/local/)

> 3] Makes tomcat.sh rc script correctly read JAVA_HOME
> (overridable by 'make JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/jdk1.1.8' or whatever)

'read'? Where from? Do you replace it? I haven't looked at the diff yet,
don't really have time yet....

Hope this helps :-)

Ernst

--
Ernst de Haan
EuroNet Internet B.V.

    "Come to me all who are weary and burdened
        and I will give you rest" -- Jesus Christ