Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:33:01 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@spinner.DIALix.COM>
To:        "Eric L. Hernes" <erich@lodgenet.com>
Cc:        asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi Asami), ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: scotty build failure

"Eric L. Hernes" wrote:
> Satoshi Asami writes:
> >Here's another one that just broke.  The file in question in
> >/usr/local/lib is named "tnm2.1.3.so.1.0".  (But don't we need a "lib"
> >in front of library names?)
>
> If the linker operates on it, yes.  As far as I recall, only tcl's
> `load' operates on this one.  The author's idea was to install this
> stuff and use it by setting the env var TCLLIBPATH to point
> to the tnm2.1.3/ and tkined1.4.3/ directories.  My `solution' was
> to make a shell wrapper to set this crap.
>
> I'll fix the build.  The library name crap was/is the brainchild of
> the author and it appears that no one is supposed to link against it,
> just use it as tcl library.  Is this something that I should look into
> and try to fix; or just let it be as `flawed by design', but working
> as the author intended?

Hmm, please look more closely at the impact of the change that I did to
TCL_SHLIB_SUFFIX='.so.1.0' in tclConfig.sh.  To my mind, this is
unambigious since it's "SHLIB", meaning library, not "shared object".  I
was trying to avoid having to do a large, ugly patch to the expect
configure script which was expecting TCL_SHLIB_SUFFIX to mean "the bit you
whack on the end of a shared library filename so that ld/rtld can link
with it".

There are other mechanisms to generate the shared library name, if the
change that I made to tclConfig.sh is wrong, it needs to come out and
expect needs to be fixed to use the alternate mechanism that knows about
shlib versioning.  IMHO, the naming and documentation of the intent of the
variables in tclConfig.sh could be a lot better.

Cheers,
-Peter