Date:      Thu, 09 Dec 2004 02:52:27 +0100
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anybody EVER successfully recovered VINUM?

> Yes I was too -- however I wasn't as impressed with the fact that I had parity
> errors afterwards. Have you run 'vinum checkparity' after these rebuilds?  In
> my case I suffered data corruption...
> AFAIK the only way to guarantee a consistent rebuild is to do it offline (at
> least in 4.x, haven't tested gvinum in 5.x yet).
>>To play it safe you might want to unmount the volume before starting.

If this is indeed true, which I find a bit hard to believe, it should be
fixed ASAP.  I've never seen a RAID that had to be taken _offline_ to
rebuild parity onto a failed and replaced drive.  I've triggered
rebuilds on a few so far, including h/w RAID, RAIDFrame and the Linux
raid* thing, and it has always worked nicely while there was heavy load
on the volume (with reduced performance during the rebuild, of course.)

--
   Matthias Buelow; mkb@{mukappabeta,informatik.uni-wuerzburg}.de