Date:      Mon, 04 Mar 96 12:31:16 -0700
From:      tony@thing.sunquest.com
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   some questions

Hi,

I upgraded my system (it had 2.0.5 that Rod installed on it) to 2.1-stable
over the weekend. Been a while since I built a UNIX system from src :-)

Went very smoothly!

I have a couple of questions:

1) I did a find on / /usr to see what old files I still had knocking around
   from 2.0.5.

   Noticed a lot of the /usr/include files had not been touched.

   Did some poking around, noticed that the include Makefile installs
   conditionally ... 'cmp -s /usr/include/$i $i || install $i ...'

   Clearly my files in /usr/include are upto date, but I was curious what the
   rational behind this conditional installation was, since it's the first
   time I've seen this in a Makefile.

2) In the 'make world', were full dependancies (.depend files) generated ?

   In other words, in future will just the changed decks be built ?

   Assuming no hidden/functional dependancies, is building this way safe, or
   do people usually build from a clean object tree each time ?

3) Are the changes to -stable documented anywhere ?

   Don't see anything on freebsd-stable. Are the cvs-* lists just for -current
   or are announcements of -stable changes posted there also ?

   It isn't a big deal, except when some functional dependancy which won't be
   handled by the make dependancies is introduced.

4) Is there any documentation on the build process ? Or is share/mk/bsd.README
   about it ?

THANKS!

tony