Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 14:50:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        pst@shockwave.com (Paul Traina)
Cc:        jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com, phk@critter.tfs.com, stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFW (was: Re: -stable hangs at boot)

> Obligatory comment:
>
> 1597 space should *NEVER* be considered "more secure."
>
> The only difference between 1597 space and non-1597 space is that 1597 space
> is not guaranteed to be unique across the internet.
>
> I can still get my packets through to (and often received from) a 1597 based
> machine.

Of course that is true.  However, it IS inherently more difficult for you to
get a packet routed to a 1597 network that is local, here, because there
aren't any routes to help you, and in my opinion that does count as being
"more secure".  I am BY NO MEANS advocating the use of 1597 networks instead
of firewalls and other traditional security tools.  Paranoia and politics
simply suggests that a 1597 network is yet another tool that helps keep
trouble away.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968