Date:      Tue, 11 May 2004 00:13:20 +0200
From:      Carsten Zimmermann <cz@aegisnet.biz>
To:        Toxa <postfix@sendmail.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: reformatting laptop & ACPI: special partitions?

Hello,

afaik, FreeBSD is unable to do a "software suspend-to-disk" (std), yes.
However, I remember it supports handing the s.t.d. over to the system
bios if your `sysctl hw.acpi.s4bios` is "1". To achieve that, you have
to have your hibernation partition configured. You can then s.t.d. using
`acpiconf -s 4`.

I haven't tried it yet because (and here comes the other advise) the
tool which creates the hibernation-partition ("HDPREPEZ") needs to
reside in the first 8 GBs of the disk. Unfortunately, this is where
FreeBSD is sitting and I was too lazy to move my F'BSD installation so
far. So, just to answer the question "where?": at the beginning. Dunno
what partition type, I recommend using your BIOS manufacturer's software
tools.

Carsten

Am Tue May 11, 2004 at 01:2833AM +0400 schrieb Toxa:
> Hello Michael,
>
> Monday, May 10, 2004, 9:27:51 PM, you wrote:
>

> MAS> As I recall, when I got the laptop, it did NOT have any special
> MAS> partitions (I wiped it the day that I got it and installed FreeBSD).
>
> MAS> Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!
>

> As far as I know, FreeBSD currently is unable to suspend to disc, as I
> can't find any notes where to tell it about suspend/resume partition (I
> wish it to be like "acpi_resume=/dev/ad0s3" in loader.conf, for example).  Correct me if I am wrong.
> But you can try suspending to RAM, however, currently my vaio laptop goes to
> bed happily but it can't wakeup after it, so I'm unhappy with
> suspending at all.
> Really, there is great lack of documentation about suspending to disc
> in freebsd.
>

> --
> Best regards,
>  Toxa                            mailto:postfix@sendmail.ru