Date:      Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:33:11 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <axl@iafrica.com>
To:        "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: syslogd doesn't read syslog.conf on HUP

On Sat, 08 Nov 1997 09:49:04 PST, "Studded" wrote:

> Of course, you do realize that if you send logging data to a new file,
> you have to create it before syslog will write to it, yes?

Hi Doug,

Knowing and believing are two different things. That's about the only
I learned in Sunday school.

Although I knew this to be the case, I didn't apply what I knew when I
was testing the "problem".

I've just tried touching the new file I wish to log to _before_ sending
a HUP and it works great.

Apologies if this was an FAQ. *cringe*

Thanks,
Sheldon.