Date:      Sat, 05 Jan 2002 16:57:22 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
To:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
Cc:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenGL

Seeing your guys' conversation here compelled me to give DRI
acceleration another try, so I did a make World in both the
XFree86-current tree and in the DRI development branch you pointed to
and installed the results (though to get `make install' to function in
the DRI bits, I had to remove the tdfx driver from the build list).

Now I'm going down your checklist:

> 1) Verifying your libGL is the DRI-enabled one (it almost certainly is, but
>    just to double-check):

Check.  The X server also identifies itself as:
XFree86 Version 4.1.99.1 (DRI bsd-2-0-0) / X Window System

> 2) DRM module loaded
>
>    > kldstat | grep mga
>     3    1 0xc041f000 183f4    mga.ko

No check.  This has me stumped.

root@winston-> kldload /a/local/lib/drm/mga.ko
kldload: can't load /a/local/lib/drm/mga.ko: Exec format error

This is as installed from /usr/ports/graphics/drm-kmod and, for some
reason, the resulting modules are disliked by my 4.5-PRERELEASE
system.  How are you getting a usable mga.ko module?

> 3) DRI device perms
>
>    > ls -ltd /dev
>    drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  17408 Jan  5 09:18 /dev/
>    > ls -ltd /dev/dri
>    drwxrwxrwx  2 root  wheel  512 Jan  5 10:13 /dev/dri/
>    > ls -ltd /dev/dri/*
>    crw-rw-rw-  1 root  wheel  145,   0 Jan  5 10:13 /dev/dri/card0

And how did you get this created without devfs?  I see nothing in our
MAKEDEV which supports this.

My system is an older AMD Athlon (Slot-A) with ASUS K7 mobo and Matrox
MGA G400 AGP.  Even without DRI support, I get glxgears to do ``860
frames in 5.0 seconds = 172.000 FPS'', though things like sproingies
and tuxracer turn in something closer to 4-5 FPS.  I've also
recompiled both from scratch, just in case they're linking with
something weird, but no luck.

Any ideas for someone who's a few steps further back than you guys? :)
Thanks!

- Jordan