Date:      Fri, 26 Nov 1999 15:59:52 -0500
From:      "Mikhail Evstiounin" <evstiounin@adelphia.net>
To:        "Matthias Buelow" <token@wuff.mayn.de>, "Oren Sarig" <sarig@bezeqint.net>, "Marc Wandschneider" <MarcW@Lanfear.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: latest gcc?

From: Matthias Buelow <token@wuff.mayn.de>
To: Mikhail Evstiounin <evstiounin@adelphia.net>; Oren Sarig
<sarig@bezeqint.net>; Marc Wandschneider <MarcW@Lanfear.com>;
freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Friday, November 26, 1999 8:16 AM

>Mikhail Evstiounin wrote:
>
>>this is a case for FreeBSD too. You can't use this compiler to compile
>>kernel, but it's more robust, faster and supports exceptions, has a better
>>optimization, supports namespaces, etc.
>
><pedantic> Of course you can't use this compiler to compile the kernel
>since I don't think it would be possible to compile the kernel with a C++
>compiler. </pedantic>

Before be too pedantic you should learn a little bit more about gcc
and egcs (sorry for sarcasm). GCC is something like a "all in one"
compiler. As a matter of fact, g++ is a wrapper around gcc. Moreover,
you can use gcc to compile c++ code - just set all options in a right way
and you are ready - it's about 30 options - and g++ does it for you.
there is Ada, Fortran, Pascal and Java compilers in gcc (yes, you can
compile java programs to a native code and it will run faster). All of them
use the same optimizer and code generator. Yes, they have different
syntax, and authors of a corresponding compiler provide gramma
in flex/bison "notation". It's possible to right your own compiler using
gcc stuff. It's not easy, but it definitly doable. In my life, I did it a
couple
of times - not with gcc, but with something very similar - using
intermidiate
language.

Problem with Linux and, in my opinion, like i mentioned in my previous
 letter, FreeBSD, lies in optimizer - not in gcc or g++ analizer. There are
very specific aliasing rules defined by standard. and newer version of
gcc optimizer starts to take advantages of them. Old one accepted
all this stuff and generated some code. Unfortunatelly, it worked like
author of this code expected it to work. I said unfortunatelly because
if it didn't work like author expected it to work then author would fix it.
But this is a totally diferent issue.