Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:44:39 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Stephen Wenzler" <s.wenzler4@verizon.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Special instructions for ISDN

I'm basing the following on my experiences attempting to configure the
Motorola Bitsurfer to multilink, as well as configuring many other ISDN
devices, such as the Ascend Pipeline, the 3com Office Connect, the Cisco 700
and 800 series, and the Intel 8xxx series.

I don't disagree that there is a way to get the Motorola Bitsurfer to
multilink on an asynchronous serial port on a PC.  The Bitsurfer manuals talk
in glowing terms about the device's ability to use Asynchronous Inverse
Multiplexing, which is needed to crush the 128K datastream of
bonded/multilinkedPPP ISDN into the maximum speed of 115k of a garden variety
PC serial port.  I'll allow that somewhere in some lab, someone got this to
work once.

But in the 16-20 hours I spent screwing with the damn things (which included,
by the way, getting the latest ROM's from Motorola shipped out) I was never
able to accomplish this - and this was a textbook ISDN circuit, because it was
TWO of these devices on the ends of TWO different ISDN links that were dialing
into each other.

I've since decided that all ISDN Terminal Adapters, such as the Bitsurfer, the
3com ISDN Impact, and the US Robotics Courier I-modem, are worthless wastes of
time if you want to run multilink on them.  They are fine for 64K 1-channel
but that's it.

Do yourself a favor and dump the Bitsurfer, and replace it with a used Ascend
Pipeline 75 that's hooked to an Ethernet adapter in your FreeBSD system.
Pipelines can be had for very cheap off Ebay.  While the Ascend's are a bit
complex to program, it's nothing that should be a problem for anyone
interested in UNIX.

tems&userid=stephenw1&include=0&since=-1&sort=2&rows=25

**update**
Effective immedately, I have new email address on my new ISP which is:

s.wenzler4@verizon.net