Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 13:19:30 -0500
From:      "Thomas T. Veldhouse" <veldy@veldy.net>
To:        "Maximum" <m-a-x-i-m-u-m@mail.ru>, <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Brett Glass" <brett@lariat.org>
Subject:   Re: Trojan injected in my Freebsd 4.1-RELEASE

Somebody keeps trying to install something through my FTPd when it is setup
to allow anonymous users (no directories available for upload either).  I
opened up the FTP ports on Sunday night and I had somebody hack into my
system before Monday morning.  Lucky for me, they ran out of space on /var
before they were able to do any damage.  Seems there is a security hole with
the installed ftpd.  I usually use proftpd, which was always been secure for
me.  The only reason I switched back was that I needed a quick way to
increase the timeout for ftp to my server (Dreamweaver likes a long
timeout).

Tom Veldhouse
veldy@veldy.net