Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:30:05 -0500
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Recommended answering machine software?

I'd like to run something under FreeBSD 4.4/4.5 which can make my
FreeBSD box act as an answering machine:  answer calls, play an
outgoing message (presumably a .wav or similar file), and take
messages.  It would be nice if it also could understand DTMF codes and
do different things according to them, like allow messages to be
maintained for multiple people.  Whether or not it's part of the
system, I also intend to cause the message files to be e-mailed
appropriately on receipt.  Finally, I'm hoping this system will be
compatible (with or without a little shell/Perl programming) with
mgetty+sendfax, which I already run.  Currently, I can't dial into
mgetty+sendfax unless I disable my answering machine in advance.

I skimmed through ports but didn't find a clear winner for this type
of application.  I'm also not sure what specific hardware I'd need (I
assume not just any modem will do :-), and I suspect this will be
dependent on what software I use.

Any suggestions welcome.

--
Doug Lee           dgl@visi.com        http://www.visi.com/~dgl