Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 13:32:36 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jeremy Scheer <jeremy@mecca.servint.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Western Digital Drives...

Hi there...

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 4 on a Western Digital WD102AA. It's an LBA
drive, the BIOS on the motherboard in LBA-compatible.

The problem I'm having is, whenever I try to write slices, the parameters
at the top of the screen are getting bumped to 1247/26/63, even after I
change the geometry to fit the drive. In turn, I can't write the BSD
partitions to the disk. I keep on clocking errors that the system can't
write due to invalid configurations. The drive is fine - I've installed
2K, 98 on it no problem.

I noticed on your website under the "installation procedures" part there's
a screen shot of an fdisk of a Western Digital drive with the exact same
parameters as mine. The irony was overwhelming. :)

Any ideas? I've searched your site and can't seem to come up with a viable
solution to this issue. Could you point me in the right direction? Any
help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy Scheer
Engineer
Servint