Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 09:45:23 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@grafin.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD run on UP1100?

Yoriaki FUJIMORI writes:
 > Dear folks,
 > >From the HARDWARE.TXT of FreeBSD4.2R/Alpha, we know that FreeBSD runs
 > on UP1000.  Now, in the market, we can buy cheaper Samsung's UP1100
 > motherboards.  It seems that difference between UP1000 and UP1100
 > is small.  As a matter of fact, I read in www.netbsd.org that NetBSD
 > runs on UP1100.  My questions are:
 > (1)  Does FreeBSD4.2R/Alpha boot/run on UP1100?

I'm the guy who did the up1000 support for FreeBSD.  I strongly
suspect that the UP1100 will work.  From what I can tell from reading
the NetBSD and Linux sources, it should appear to software as a
UP1000.  We don't advertise that it will work simply because I have
never seen one, and I've never heard of anybody booting FreeBSD on
one.

If it does not work, I should be able to resolve any problems
remotely. (Eg, let you ftp kernel, or a source patch).

 > (2)  Does older Digital Unix 4.x boot/run on UP1100?

Almost certainly not.  The API UP1000, at least, uses a different
systype than anything Digital UNIX supports.

Drew

PS: Where can you buy UP1100 motherboards?