Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2012 06:41:52 -0500
From:      Jamie <jamie@geniegate.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD/Perl jobs?

I'm a successful freelance developer, have been for many years.

But lately.... things are drying up.

I can do PHP quite well actually. If you've written in perl, other languages
are usually a piece of cake. However, the problem with PHP is that you're
dealing with younger people who aren't very interested in Perl experience
and frankly, they're not very interested in anyone over 35. :-/ It doesn't
matter if you know PHP, they want someone who can cut-n-paste wordpress
plugins or things of that nature. (which is rather silly, IMO)

FreeBSD has the same problems. It's much better for servers, it's solid, it's
awesome and very few people care if you have experience with it.

Where would you say the jobs are for older people who like Perl & FreeBSD?

The other question has to do with gaining/keeping skills. I've done python,
java, etc.. on my own time, just to understand it. But it's difficult to get an
XYZ job, unless you've done an XYZ job. How do you get experience in other
technologies without wasting your time learning the wrong niche technology?

Freelancing is tough these days!

Jamie
--
http://www.geniegate.com                    Custom web programming
Perl * Java * UNIX                        User Management Solutions