Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 2021 03:51:13 +0100
From:      Graham Perrin <grahamperrin@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-gecko@freebsd.org
Subject:   Firefox 89 gfx.webrender.all and gfx.webrender.enabled

Thanks,

On 26/06/2021 20:16, Greg V wrote:
> …
>> gfx.webrender.all true
> You can set it to force WebRender on, even if the hardware probing and/or qualification failed.
>
> If it already shows WebRender, Firefox has successfully gathered hardware info and decided that the GPU is good. So you don't strictly *need* to force it. Just hope that the updates won't ever break the detection :)

Where gfx.webrender.all is false by default (as it was for me): how can
a person test the pros and cons of an override to true?

Whilst I'm not into benchmarking/comparisons (I'm not a speed freak), I
am aware of things such as MotionMark 1.2
<https://browserbench.org/MotionMark1.2/>.

>> gfx.webrender.enabled true
>
> This one should not be touched.

What's the implication of finding it false by default?

I overrode gfx.webrender.enabled to true in _89_ on FreeBSD after
stumbling across
<https://old.reddit.com/r/kde/comments/m9y8os/-/grqa6ad/>; (not specific
to FreeBSD, from when _88_ was nightly). Now reverted to its default,
false, I'll no longer override.