Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:57:40 -0800
From:      David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   tap interfaces on FreeBSD 6.0

On a newly installed FBSD 6.0 system I did the following to try to create a
tap0 interface.

opty1# cat /dev/null > /dev/tap0
/dev/tap0: Operation not supported

I repeated the above about 5 times just to see if it changed, got the same
result.

Then
opty1# ifconfig tap0 create
ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument

then I did another:
opty1# cat /dev/null > /dev/tap0

and got
tap0: Ethernet address: 00:bd:bb:d2:16:00

and now I have tap0.

What's the correct way to create this thing the first time on devfs?

It seems like setting this up might be tricky for a qemu configuration
script.

I had been using the "vde" port to set up qemu in the past but now the qemu
port has a new version that doesn't support the syntax of the older "vde"
port, and I'm not up to moving vde to the latest version for FreeBSD by
myself [it's chock full of linuxism which is probbaly fine since it's from
UML I think]

Any advice?  I'd like to expose qemu machines on my local network for ssh
access into them.

Dave