Date:      Sun, 7 Dec 1997 18:36:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Charlie Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, root@isis.dynip.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-3.0 BUGS BUGS BUGS

On Sat, 6 Dec 1997, Charlie Roots wrote:

> Hi there,
> Yesterday I cvsuped the FreeBSD Current.

If you haven't already, subscribe to current@freebsd.org.

All of these issues have been posted to that list and are in the mail
archives.

> During compilation make world is BROKEN during
> the final 'install' stage, due to absence of a group
> called 'network' that ppp is trying to fix some permisions on.

Add group network, id 69.

> So, I did a manual 'make install' after creating such a group, then
> ALL WENT WELL.
>
> Copiling the KERNEL is OK, but there are NON-FATAL errors;
>
> 1. someone put 'MANDATORY' instead of 'standard' for
> in the i386 config file, and this breaks 'MYKERNEL config' at an early
> stage, just replace the faulty error and your OK.

You didn't update `config'.  Update config.

> 2. a warning somewhere should suggest 'making world' before trying to
> build the kernel.

Eh?

> 3. Is 'peudo-device'  log NO MORE SUPPORTED ?? as it fails.

Check -current.

> 4. the following files gave WARNINGS during 'make world', although all
> went ok, but since I saw the tight -W CFLAG switches, I knew that
> these warnings should not left to spoil our robust OS.

That's current for you.  Be warned that -current does break; stay tuned to
the current mailing list for best results.