Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 1999 19:04:52 -0500
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freeBSD.ORG, freebsd-newbies@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem Detecting IDE CDROM in 3.1-Stable

I have a problem/question that hopefully will have an easy resolution.

The machine in question is running 3.1-stable, and it is not seeing
my IDE CDROM.  The CDROM is configured as the slave on the primary
channel, and the kernel is seeing the IDE controller:

  Probing for devices on PCI bus 0:
  chip0: <Intel 82443BX host to PCI bridge> rev 0x02 on pci0.0.0
  chip1: <Intel 82443BX host to AGP bridge> rev 0x02 on pci0.1.0
  chip2: <Intel 82371AB PCI to ISA bridge> rev 0x02 on pci0.7.0
  ide_pci0: <Intel PIIX4 Bus-master IDE controller> rev 0x01 on pci0.7.1

(this is the only IDE device by the way).

I have the kernel configured for IDE CDROMs are far as I can tell:

  options		ATAPI
  options		ATAPI_STATIC
  device		acd0

but it's not being seen on bootup.  That's not surprising, though,
as the "IDE" controller (wdc0) isn't being seen either.  I've tried
configuring the kernel wdc0 many ways, including with 0x2000 set in the
flags to try to force the probing, but to no avail.

I imagine that I'm doing something silly...

Thanks in advance!

--Mark