Date:      Tue, 04 Dec 2001 09:36:03 -0500
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Chad David <davidc@acns.ab.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SMP beeping

Chad David wrote:

> I upgraded one of my servers to stable this afternoon only to
> find that if SMP is enabled the pc speaker starts to beep on
> and off in a somewhat random pattern forever....  If I boot a
> GENERIC kernel without SMP the beeping goes away, if I then
> only add the two SMP related lines the beeping starts again.
>
> I've narrowed it down that the time the second cpu is started
> is the time the beeping begins.  What is strange that if I then
> boot into a GENERIC kernel it will continue to beep at strange
> points (the bios netboot prompt, just prior to the loader count
> down, at the copywrite printout etc.), but somewhere during the
> boot it fixes itself.  If I reboot into GENERIC again all is
> normal (no strange beeps).
>
> Does this "ring a bell" with anybody?
>
> Here is the dmesg for what its worth:

Does your motherboard have a "beep if I get too hot" feature
in the BIOS?  Even if you board isn't overheating FreeBSD
may be tickling some bug somewhere that causes it to think
it is running too hot.

Also, if your board supports it (it is new enough) try installing
one of the temperature sensor packages and see what it thinks
the temperature/fan speed/etc... are.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer