Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:15:05 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@alpha.yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, "Steve B." <steveb99@earthlink.net>, "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>, <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: C vs C++

[ moved to -chat ]

> > Because that underlying assumption is false, and I'm making
> > fun of it.
>
> Well, that in itself is wrong. C++ code IS harder to write and write
> correctly and effeciently, as I would assume it is for any OO language.

Not so.  Having done C professionally for umpteen years, C++ for a
little less than umpteen years, and Java for 4, I can say w/out
reservation that C++ sucks.  OOP programming doesn't *have* to be hard.
C++ puts too many roadblocks in your way.

It not just because Java is newer that it's displacing C++ as the
primary development language.  It's because C++ as a language is *NOT*
well-designed (design my commitee).  C is becoming more and more like
C++ in this regard.  (And before Terry starts whining about strongly
typed languages, let me state that IMO strongly typed languages are a
good thing, since they allow you to verify your code at *COMPILE* time,
vs. at runtime.)

I can get more done in a shorter period of time with Java than with C++.
However, when speed is of the issues, the computer get more done in a
shorter amount of time with C than I can with either Java/C++.

My Java programs can often-times run *faster* than my own C++ programs,
simply because Java (the language) makes it easier to produce a good
design.  I don't find the limitations to be limitations so much, and
they tend to force me to do better design up front.  Both are OOP
languages, but C++ *feels* like a non-OOP language with some hooks to
make it more OOP like.  (I'd like to play with Smalltalk, but alas
there's no market for it, and there's no time left in my day to work on
what I need to get done, let alone for things like playing with ST.)

C++ in it's simple form *can* be easier to maintain, but it rarely turns
out that way.  As programmers, it's difficult to not succumb to the
temptation to use the latest/greatest feature of the language, since at
the time it certainly *seems* like it would help things out in the
long-term. :)

Finally, well-written/optimized C++ code is an abomination to look at,
and requires sacrificing small animals at alters whenever you need to
modify it. :)

Nate