Date:      Thu, 02 Mar 2000 11:24:50 -0800
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>, freebsd-chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: any news on w2k in the world?

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> Setting security aside for the moment, what about other issues?
> Overall stability, speed, hardware support, administration,
> scalability, etc.

	Given that the product hasn't been out for the general public for a
month yet it's probably a bit overboard to closely examine how well it
will do.  Let's put it this way, FreeBSD 4.0 gets released on say 10
March, at the rate we are going we would know all there is know about
the impact of 4.0 by 2 April.  Not very realistic.

	Back to your question though.  Admin : windows needs good scripting
ability, NT 4 definitely didn't have it.  Does 2000?  Don't know.
Case in point : try adding 500 windows accounts, point and click all
over.  In the unix world you'd just script the creation go to town.
Speed :  MS has never been known to concern itself over running well
on minimal resources.  I'm sure you can make 2000 run fast, but it
will take more hardware to do it.  If that's not the case then it will
likely be a first for MS.  This goes along the same lines with
scalability.

> I am concerned about all this because i *just* got into Unix, and i
> hoped pursuing a job in the field isn't a waste of time.  Now M$
> appears with a 'Unix-slayer' OS, at least in their minds, and they put

	If you step in to the way back machine you'll discover that NT 3.51
was also listed as THE unix slayer.  Never happened, at least from
where I'm sitting :-)

> enough time into development and testing to raise a few eyebrows.  And
> unlike previous releases, this one is really getting good reviews.

	Once again, get into the way back machine.  Windows tends to get
large amounts of good and bad reviews.  Depends on what the focus of
the review is.  One OS can not be the best at everything, the concept
of having priorities makes that pretty much impossible.  This is of
course true for BSD/Unix also.  There are trade offs, people have to
decide which trade offs they are willing to live with and which ones
they are not.

> I just heard from someone recently about several banks that switched
> to NT from Unix.  I thought banks would stick to the most robust
> systems.  Apparently i was wrong.

	My guess is you will continue to hear some of these stories.  Just as
you will continue to hear stories about shops moving from Windows to
BSD/Linux/Unix.  I'm sure there are banks that switched to NT 4 not
too long after it came out also.  Does that make their decision a good
one?  Maybe, maybe not.  Goes back to trade offs.

--

Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu