Date:      Thu, 9 Dec 2004 12:36:56 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>, Scott Mitchell <scott+freebsd@fishballoon.org>, orville weyrich <weyrich_comp@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Has anybody EVER successfully recovered VINUM?

--4RKFTa9IRjtxz5WY

On Wednesday,  8 December 2004 at 11:52:55 +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> Scott, your procedure is what I have used, except for:
>
> On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 10:09:05AM +0000, Scott Mitchell wrote:
>> 6. Tell vinum to restart the failed subdisk:
>>
>> 	# vinum start raid.p0.s0
>>
>> 7. Wait ages while the new disk is 'revived'.
>>
>> I was quite impressed that the volume remained available with users
>> accessing it throughout this procedure :-)
>
> Yes I was too -- however I wasn't as impressed with the fact that I had parity
> errors afterwards. Have you run 'vinum checkparity' after these rebuilds?  In
> my case I suffered data corruption...

*sigh*  Yes, there's some problem there.

> AFAIK the only way to guarantee a consistent rebuild is to do it
> offline (at least in 4.x, haven't tested gvinum in 5.x yet).
>
>> To play it safe you might want to unmount the volume before starting.
>
> I *have* to.

The issue is contention round where stripes are being written.  The
code *should* avoid the contention, but it appears that there's a bug
there somewhere.  I certainly agree with you that you should umount
the file system first.

There's no reason to believe that this problem exists in gvinum: I
believe the code has been completely rewritten.

Greg

--4RKFTa9IRjtxz5WY

--4RKFTa9IRjtxz5WY--