Date:      Sat, 2 May 1998 19:27:55 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Socket 7 motherboards

On Sat,  2 May 1998 at  1:44:18 -0700, Vincent Poy wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> 	We're planning to build a whole new FreeBSD machine using either a
> AMD K6 or Pentium MMX CPU with 128 megs of memory.  Since Intel 430HX
> motherboards are hard to find and our only choice from Intel is the 430TX
> which doesn't cache above 64meg, how good are the VIA chipset based
> motherboards and do they work well with FreeBSD?  Thanks.

The German c't magazine recently tested a number of motherboards with
non-Intel chipsets.  Their results: the best are Ali Aladdin, then
SiS, then Via.  In particular, they weren't impressed with the Via
VP3, though they found the newest version, the MVP3, to be OK.  See
the issue 5/1998 for more details.

I've just bought a "Rise Mustang R581A" motherboard
(http://www.rise.com.tw/r581a.htm), which includes an SiS 5591/5595
chipset.  The specs look good--I'll report once I get round to
installing it if anybody is interested.

Greg