Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:22:39 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Cordula's Web" <cpghost@cordula.ws>
To:        vahric@doruk.net.tr
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: last question about up-to-date ( I hope )

>     I'm just wonder Why patching is not used instead of source update..
> it's patching source tree too for security bugs ... I checking output of the
> cvsup -g -L 2 stable-supfile command . it's only download openssh , bind and
> like this almost what writen in security advisories .

Personally, I prefer to have the current sources on the machine,
so I can examine security breaches etc...

But the main advantage is that downloading source diffs requires
much less bandwidth than, say, newly compiled binaries. Tracking
-STABLE or -CURRENT with cvsup via a 56k modem line is a viable
option. I wouldn't like to download big binaries everytime a
small patch fixes something.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/